Sri Lanka visa for Indians
Sri Lanka is a beautiful tropical island nation in the Indian Ocean
It is also known as the pearl of the Indian Ocean. It is geographically separated from India by the Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait. It is one of the closest international vacation spots for Indians to enjoy nature’s beauty and it is rated as one of the top tourist destinations across the world.
Sri Lanka can be reached either by air or by sea. In either of the modes of transport, Indians need a Sri Lanka visa.
This article outlines the simple online process to get a Sri Lanka tourist e-visa for Indians:
1) First and foremost requirement is to have an Indian passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date of submitting Sri Lanka visa application online and with at least 4 vacant pages.
2) An ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) is required to get a visa at the port of entry in Sri Lanka after producing the passport, ETA approval notice, return ticket, hotel booking (not required if you are staying with friends or relatives) and proof of sufficient funds. ETA can be obtained electronically for a short visit up to 30 days.
3) ETA application can be submitted online by the applicant directly or by a third party (family member, friend, travel agent, etc.). The application can also be submitted for a group of travelers. Physical ETA application can also be submitted at Sri Lanka Overseas Missions offices or at the DI&E (Department of Immigration & Emigration) office in Colombo or at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. The most preferred method is to submit it online.
4) Open www.eta.gov.lk and choose the language of choice. The application can be submitted in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, etc. English is the most sought after choice for Indians. Fill in the details (name, surname, address, passport number, issue, and expiry dates, arrival date, the purpose of visit, hotel address in Sri Lanka, mobile number, e-mail id, etc.) as per the passport. Each traveler needs to submit the application.
5) A non-refundable application fee of 69EUR needs to be paid at the time of filling ETA application. You can use your credit/debit card (Master / Visa / American Express) to make the payment.
6) Review all details before submission as these details are verified at the port of entry. Do not forget to print or save the acknowledgment after the online submission. It consists of the reference number and the contact details to enquire about the application status. The inquiry should be done only after 24 hours of application submission.
6) ETA approval or referral notice is sent to the e-mail id mentioned in the application within 24 hours. ETA application status can be obtained easily from the ETA website. Take a print of the ETA approval notice. One can travel to Sri Lanka within 90 days of issue of ETA approval notice. Referral notice cases need to contact Sri Lanka Overseas Mission offices.
That’s it!!! You are all set to enjoy your vacation in Sri Lanka. Happy traveling!!!